This is an eclectic collection of images and photographs, artifacts and documents from the earliest days of the School to modern times. Sometimes there are two images of the one object, such as two sides of a document.
Albertians, or family members, have donated many of the objects and where this is known acknowledgements are made.
Curated by Brian Murphy, Archivist.
Historical Photographs (Set 1)
This certificate, awarded to MG Jenkins in 1922, was donated by his son Neil. As well as being signed by the Headmaster, it was signed by GS Coldham who is described as the Sports Secretary. George Coldham was the senior French Master.
The crew won the Thirteenth Annual Head of the Harbour on the Tamaki River.
RC Anderson (stroke), BE Jones (7), BH Ashby (6), JW Ashby (5), RN Stanish (4), D Phillips (3), LR Beck (2), RW Katterns (bow), MY Smith (cox).
Each member of the winning team in the Earl Roberts Full Bore Competition received a medal. The obverse depicts a side face of Fredrick Roberts, 1st Earl Roberts. He is wearing the plumed hat of a Governor (he was, briefly, the Governor of Natal.) The inscription reads: FIELD.MARSHALL.EARL.ROBERTS.VC.KG.KP.GCB.OM.GCSI.GSIE.
These images was sent to us from Australia by a relative of one of the winners. Since the images were taken, we have received an actual medal. It was donated by Leslie Fallon, daughter of Bob Jones-Parry, who was the Fire Director on the Earl Roberts team.
The reverse of the Earl Roberts medal shows a female figure representing winged victory standing on the world. In her left hand is a palm leaf symbolic of the victor and in her right is a trumpet to proclaim his victor
On the steps: Headmaster Gamble, Mrs Ward Baker (benefactrix of the school), JH Harvey (raincoat,cap), Mr Ward Baker (Board member, hat,obscure), AR Gatland (pipe, dark suit), CP Worley (pipe, light suit), W Caradus (trilby hat), HL Towers, CC Lees, CT Harris. In Front: JH Jenkin (standing), JM Tait (leaning on desk), HF Brock, GS Coldham, WRH Martin, RB Hardy (standing, looking at stopwatch) WCJ Perry, EH Boulton.
Historical Photographs (Set 2)
Mr GJ Moran, SA Walker, JW Turner, CC Ingram, BI Belsham, MY Blyth.
Newspaper and photographer unknown. A gift of Alan C Thom 1937-1940.
The annual School Concert was a large event and filled the Town Hall. It was on one night only, this example, over two nights, was unusual. A few early concerts were augmented by outside artists. The first report of a concert was in The Albertian of 1923. There were two concerts at the start of the second term and the first performance by the School, after all had sung God Save The King, was “… An overture in the shape of the march ‘Under the Double Eagle’…”.
The earliest programme we have is 1926 “In Aid of Tennis Courts Fund” The concerts were money-makers, the 1923 concerts raised 160 pounds, an enormous sum at the time. The last Town Hall concert was in 1967, they were killed off by television.
As well as picture evenings, the Old Boys’ Association ran dances. These were formal affairs with a printed dance programme.
The caption refers to the bouts being in the “gymnasium”. They were held in the hall. The school did not have a gymnasium until 1954. That gymnasium has, in recent years, been turned into classrooms and renamed C block. The property office occupies the original foyer and showers.
Historical Photographs (Set 3)
More information on each of these masters can be found in:
Brown, JG (1971), Golden Jubilee . Mount Albert Grammar School.
Stone, RCJ (1997), Mount Albert Grammar School: The First Seventy-five Years. Mount Albert Grammar School.
The trophy for shooting was donated in 1926 by A Afford Esq. This target is that of R Jones-Parry, the fire director of the 1931 British Empire Cadet Champions. The target is a gift of Leslie Fallon.
This photograph came from Neil Jenkins along with the report and certificates of his father, MG Jenkins. The form master in the photograph is CP Worley, who was Jenkins form master in 4C in 1922. That would make it our oldest class photograph. It is in remarkably good condition. Many, more recent images are less favourably preserved. Note that the boys in the front row are sitting on what maybe canvas, rather on the rough stones.
Gifted by Roger Moses in 2001. His father SL (Syd) Moses was a member of the team. Syd Moses became a champion motor-cycle racer and was Chairman of the Decimal Currency Board 1964-1968. This team was the first to win the Auckland Secondary Schools’ Championship.
In the original staff cloak-room/toilet there were named coat-hooks for masters’ gowns which were worn to the two assemblies each day, and they were frequently worn throughout the day. This is HL Towers’s hook.
The cloak-room/toilet is now the commerce office.
In the refurbishments of the early 90s the staffroom was moved to the original library as the original common room was separated into two parts as part of the seismic upgrade. The two parts are now the classroom called B7 and staff toilets. At the same time the corridor was blocked off.
Herb Towers taught for almost all of his 57 years on the staff in B6. For a few years it was converted into a women’s toilet. It is now a classroom again and is renamed B8.
Historical Photographs (Set 4)
The building in the background is the shelter shed, with prefects’ room on the left and tuck shop on the right. It was demolished at the beginning of 1974 to be replaced by the library building which opened in 1976. The original library is now occupied by the staff room.
The steeplechase has been renamed the cross country.
The image is a gift of Joan Joass, April 2004. Her father, Hector King, is in the back row, far right. The Form Master is JH (“Bunny”) Harvey. He was the English Master and editor of the Silver Jubilee history. The “little black dog” belonged to the photographer.
In 1931 a team from the School won the Earl Roberts Imperial Challenge Shield. The photograph shows: Fire Leader Sagt-Mjr R Jones-Parry (back), Sgt RF Wakefield, Cpl WH Jenkin, Cpl JM Jenkinson, Cadet CJ Robieson.
Headmaster FW Gamble with winners of life-saving certificates, 1937.
MG Jenkins English certificate for coming first in English in 4C in 1922. Also donated by his son Neil. As well as being signed by the Headmaster (then Head Master), it was also signed by Professor APW Thomas, Chairman of the Auckland Grammar School Board of Governors.
Historical Photographs (Set 5)
These two images were published in the 8 O’Clock which was the pink-page sports edition of The Auckland Star. The Star was Auckland’s evening newspaper for 128 years. It folded in 1991. The 8 O’Clock was so named because it came out about that time on Saturdays and was sold from newsstands. It had at least eight broadsheet pages jammed-packed with the day’s sport. The text was set by linotype and all the pictures had to be developed in a darkroom. To have it written, edited, designed, set, printed and on the streets in about three hours was remarkable.
Although there is no date on the paper, The Albertian of 1950 mentions that the event was on, probably, 22 April 1950, which was a Saturday. The Eight won the Head of the Harbour. The members of the winning First Four were: RL Grey (stroke), ET Hughan (3), JA Fraser (2), TI Jones (bow), CB Jones (cox). The Second Four also won their event, they were: CR Beamish (stroke), RY Baird (3), DM Bernard (2), R Tuck (bow), NE Cordes (cox). In all three races the school that was second was Sacred Heart College.
With the help of the West End Rowing Club (Mount Albert Grammar School) and the Waitemata Boating Club (Sacred Heart College) the Auckland Secondary Schools’ Rowing Association was formed, and the inaugural regatta was held between the two schools in 1937. The newspaper clipping was a gift of Ted Hughan, August 2005.
We have two copies of this image from The Auckland Star’s Saturday sports edition, the 8 O’Clock. One of them is from Graham Burgess and the other from Alan Thom. This was a time of boxing matches between the School and King’s College. DW (Dud, Doug) Rollinson, who was Head Prefect, was the Auckland Cruiser Weight Champion.
In later life, Ward and Gibson both became doctors, and Archer was the studmaster for Sir Woolf Fisher. Private Ray Amoore, 24 Infantry Battalion, 2NXEF, was killed in action on 26 March 1943, aged 21. He is buried in Sfax War Cemetery, Tunisia. Flying Officer John David Rudling, DFM, RNZAF posted to RAF No 136 Squadron, was a Spitfire pilot and was shot down and killed, on 29 April 1944, aged 22. He is buried in the Taukkyan War Cemetery, Burma.
Alan Thom, Ron Hemus, Maurice Yates, Jock Gardner, Graham Burgess at the Old Boys’ Luncheon at the Newmarket Club in March 1977. These luncheons are still being held four times per year, currently (2012) at the School House. They seldom attract fewer than 70 Albertians, and, at times, considerably more. A gift of Alan Thom,April 2004.
The School and the Hall, including the hammer-beams, were designed by the Auckland Grammar Schools’ Board of Governors architect, WA Cumming. The beams are modelled, to some extent, on those of Westminster Hall, built in the 14th century. The beams are supported by the curved braces from the walls. The outer walls were supported by buttresses in the seismic upgrade of the early 1990s. When the Hall was reopened in 1991, the then Old Boys Association named it the FW Gamble Memorial Hall in honour of the foundation headmaster, Frank William Gamble.
In his annual report of 1926 (the year the Hall was opened) Gamble said “…the attempt to inculcate the proper ideals would be supremely difficult without this central rallying point.” and again, “…I have clear visions of the time to come when this hall will be to boys a storehouse of memories and the inspirational point of loyalty and honour.”
The Farm opened in 1933 with a course in Agricultural Science taken by eight third form boys. Long before this certificate was issued, the old School House at 807 New North Road was supplied with milk. In was carried in cans by gig (a small sprung cart drawn by one horse).
Historical Photographs (Set 6)
The trenches being dug are foundations for a two-level building. The lower level extends the library and the upper level is to open from the new wing and serve as a science workroom. May 2006.
The rough-cast planters are part of the 1976 upgrade that accompanied the opening of the library. The seats and barrier are of an earlier vintage. May 2006.
As a consequence of an earlier gradient, three steps were built to to give a more even grade. They are now being removed to facilitate construction. May 2006.
This work is being constructed to give strength to the floor to support the framework of the upper level. June 2006.
A general view of concrete being pumped into the formwork of the new building. June 2006.
Historical Photographs (Set 7)
The boxes and connectors are for computers. June 2006.
This exterior alcove became incorporated into the library extension. June 2006.
These steel members are being put in place to support the upper level of the new building. June 2006.
This ribbed galvanized steel will support the ceiling tiles of the lower level library extension and the floor of the upper level. July 2006.
Access to this room will be from the corridor of the new wing. It is to be a science workroom. July 2006.
Historical Photographs (Set 8)
Sitting in the front row, fourth from left, is the smallest boy in the School, RD Muldoon. He was to grow up, become the Member of Parliament for Tamaki in 1960 and the 31st Prime Minister of New Zealand (1975-1984).
The ivy was removed from the walls in 1956, in preparation for the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh. The School was painted for the first time, mostly white, but the west wall of the quadrangle was pink (so was a good part of the map of the world).
A gift of Dame Thea Muldoon
Gifted by John Willmott (Albertian), son of R (Bob) Willmott who is second from the left in the front row.
Albertian Mike Blamires (1951-1956). Mike joined the staff in 1961. He coached the team for ten years and won five championships. He was at Suva Grammar School from 1966-1968, and returned to school for three years. His 1970 team was the first to win the New Zealand Championship.
The late Frank Douglas taught at the school from 1968 to 2002. His First XI won the Championship in 1971. He coached the team for another two years before handing it to Dave Pinner. Later, Frank became master-in-charge of cricket, taking teams up to his retirement in 2002. He died in 2008.
Evan Gray joined the staff in 1974 and coached the team from 1975 until 1978. At the same time and for many years afterwards, he was in charge of Athletics.
Kevin Fallon arrived in 1997 and has had continuted success with his teams at the highest level ever since.
The occasion was the Albertians Dinner, Alexandra Park, 3 August 2004.
Young chemists at work. Help! Who are they and when was this photograph taken?
Historical Photographs (Set 9)
The image is a gift of John Willmott, whose father, Robert, was the choirmaster. In the photograph Bob Willmott is in the middle at the back.
Until relatively recently the annual ball was run by the prefects and held in the hall. The double ticket price was eight shillings. New Zealand changed to decimal currency on 10 July 1967. Eight shillings was the direct equivalent of 80 cents. Using the how-many-candy-bars-would-that-buy formula, eight shillings would be more like $32 today.
The ticket is a gift of Lindsay Nash in May 2008. He was at School 1948-1952.
Library passes from pre-computer, pre-photocopiers, pre-women-on-the-staff times. These passes were saved by Warwick Gibbs. They were produced (as was everything else) by typing onto a wax stencil, using a typewriter that didn’t plug into a wall outlet. The only person who typed the stencils was the Headmaster’s secretary since she was the one with the typewriter.
The stencil was used to make copies, on newsprint, by mimeography, on a Gestetner machine, earlier models were turned by hand. This inky technology ensured that there was no blizzard of printed paper.
The annual concert at the Town Hall on the evening of 10 August 1939, began like all the others, with the singing of the National Anthem, God Save the King. The first concert item was the whole School singing Gaudeamus. After interval it was time for Spotlights From History.
The pictured item was the prefects in At Madame Tussaud’s. On the face of it, it looks like they formed a tableau and no further acting required. However, this was a studio reconstruction and they may have been more active on the night.
Ron Hemus was here as a student from 1932 to 1937. He returned here to teach in 1952 and retired in 1988.
Greg Taylor was here as a student from 1960 to 1964 and returned in 1988 as the first Albertian to be appointed Headmaster.
Ron was Greg’s history teacher, he was also HOD History and Social Studies, Senior Housemaster for 13 years and in charge of rugby for a generation. Greg was dux in 1964.
The occasion was the retirement of Greg, as the fifth Headmaster, on Wednesday, 12 April 2006.
Historical Photographs (Set 10)
The Mount Albert fire station about 1910. The bell in the bell tower was donated to the school by the father of foundation pupil Les Kinnear in 1927.
It is our School bell.
This Certificate was awarded to Norman Shaw,1927-1931. It is a gift of his daughter, Alison Kelso, June 2007. It was printed by Unity Press whose name was on 1922 publications and last appeared as printers of the 1985 magazine.
The south wing of the main building was the original laboratories. The upper level was the domain of Mr W Caradus MSc. Bill Caradus (known as Granny to the boys), was the Senior Science Master and also the Second Master. He was given responsibility for establishing the farm as an educational arm of the School. He was the author of two text books which were used for many years. On the retirement of Mr Gamble he became the second Headmaster in 1946.
Later, this large area was made into two labs, UL1 and UL2, separated by a small prep room. The space is now occupied by B1, B2 and B3. During the seismic upgrade of the 1990s there was an extension to the building that incorporated an internal stairwell. This allowed for the end of the top corridor to become part of an enlarged B1. The emergency exit was closed off and the external metal fire escape removed. The ghost of the door can be seen by standing near the door of the Property Office (Old Gym) and looking up at the end east wall.
The image is a gift of Mrs Rachel Collis, daughter of Philip A Jones 1933-1937.
Colonel JE Duigan presents the Earl Roberts Imperial Cadet Trophy to Sergeant-Major R Jones-Parry. (Bob Jones-Parry was also presented with a medallion, as were Howard Jenkin, Arthur Jenkinson, Cecil Robieson and Ron Wakefield.) Jenkinson later explained that the competition consisted of “…shooting the opening application snap and running man exercises, and a run down the range firing one shot at each 100 yards.” A brief history of the shield reported that it,”…bore the names of all the Dominions associated with the competition. The shield bore the inscription ‘The Roberts Trophy for competition by British Schoolboys in the Mother Country and in the British Possessions beyond the Seas’.”.
Historical Photographs (Set 11)
The 6A rugby team 1930, winners of the 6A championship.
The 1945 rowing crew. A gift of Bill Tinnock, August 2005.
This certificate in science for PA Jones of 6B is signed by both Professor APW Thomas and FW Gamble. The certificate is a gift from Rachel Collis, daughter of Philip Jones.
The Reg and Ian Grant Memorial Trophy for the Open Sprints Champion.
Donated by the family of Wing Commander Reginald Joseph Cowan Grant, DFC and Bar, DFM of 65(RAF) Squadron, who was killed in action, aged 29, on 28 February 1944 and who is buried in the Brookefield Military Cemetary, Woking, Surrey, England.
Flying Officer Ian Allen Charles Grant of 485(NZ) Squadron RAF, who was killed, in action, aged 27, on 13 February 1943, while flying under the command of his brother Reg, and who has no known grave but the sea and who is commemorated at the Runnymede Memorial, Surrey, England.
(A third brother, William Edward Grant, died of illness on 2 February 1932 while serving with the Royal Air Force.)
The second image is of Wing Commander Reg Grant. It was rephotographed from a print on display at RNZAF Base Auckland at Whenuapai.
Notable people in this photograph include Ron Hemus (see another image in this series), Murray Marbeck ran the family music store into his 80s, Richard Dell became one of New Zealand leading malacologists with about 150 scientific papers to his name.
The image is a gift of Mrs Rachel Collis, daughter of Philip A Jones 1933-1937.
Historical Photographs (Set 12)
This is the only copy of the Calendar and List for the First Term 1922 known. It belonged to Les Kinnear and on his death, it was gifted to the School. by his sons, Bob and Alan. There is a set of bound copies of the Calendar from 1922 to the last printed issue in 1979, but this begins with the issue of Term Two 1922. In the early years, there was one each term, then as more information was included, two per years and in later year, one per year. In-school copies persisted into the early 1980s.
The entranceway to the grounds was designed by WA Cumming, the architect for the Auckland Grammar School Board of Governors.
He also designed the original four buildings; the main building, the caretaker’s house (which became unsafe and was replaced by the present Lockwood house), the “sanitary” building (still standing) and the shelter shed (demolished to make way for the 1976 library building).
Mr Cumming also designed most of other Grammar Schools’ buildings on their present sites.
Note, too, that the inner pillars have been removed, the long grass on the verge, the paved crossing and the gravel street, which, at that time, was called Rob Roy Street.
The Albertian reported that “… The play outlines the events directly leading to the mutinous outbreak on the Santa Maria and the subsequent quelling of it by Columbus himself. The whole Club took part in this, and the vivid garments of the many and varied characterisations resulted in a very colourful group. …”
Newspaper and photographer unknown. A gift of Alan C Thom 1937-1940.
The label from the cover of the first Testimonial Book. While the Headmaster, F.W. Gamble, wrote testimonials before this date they were hand-written and no copies were kept. 1929 was the first year that references were typed and we have carbon copies from then until 1987.
The Book is an alphabet journal. The second image shows the As for 1929 in date order. Under this is the As for 1930. The next page starts with the Bs for 1929 and so on.
Historical Photographs (Set 13)
The text of a letter of congratulations of 20 June 1932 from the Governor-General of the Dominion of New Zealand, Lord Bledisloe.
The envelope for the letter from the Governor-General. It did not require a stamp, as it bears a seal with the Royal Coat of Arms and the words Government House.
This cricket ball was used by Brendan Raj of the 1B team to take six wickets for 39 runs off 18 overs in a match against Howick College.
This School House side plate was used at thetop table at the old School House at 807 New North Road.
It is a gift of the late Ron Hemus, who was Senior Housemaster for thirteen years.
This newel post was at the foot of the stairs of the old School House at 807 New North Road. It was “rescued” by a House Boy, and returned to the School much later. It now stands inside the front door of the present School House.
It is one of only two known wooden artifacts associated with the old House.The other is the original sign, which is framed and hangs in the new House.
Historical Photographs (Set 14)
This pass allowed the named child to travel free to and from school between the designated stations. It is a gift from Graham Burgess, August 2002.
A Lion cut from the pocket of a rep blazer which belonged to NS Shaw (1927-1931) who was a sprinter. It is a gift of his widow, Marguerite, in July 1991.
The School House, in its second year, 1928, performed its first item at the School Concert at the Town Hall. They performed a Spanish dance, “La Careno”. The House Notes in that year’s The Albertian reported that “…Evidently the star performers, the gay maidens, caused not a little amusement with their graceful curtsies and dainty steps. …”
A receipt for school fees, gifted by Max Weston in December 2010. Max was in Special 5A in 1949. His Form Master, HF Brock, was the senior Latin Master from 1922 until his death in 1951. He was widely known as Parvis, the Little One. The fee for each of three terms was 7/6 (75c).
Very few ephemeral documents of this type survive and even though this one has some silverfish damage it is still legible and a valued artifact.
The original School House was a large historic building at 807 New North Road. Although the building has gone, the tree in the background, a pohutakawa, is still there (2010) in a remnant of the grounds renamed the Alice Wylie Reserve.
The adults in the photograph are:
Mr DA (Des) Anderson, Junior Housemaster, Mr JM (Murray) Print, Junior Housemaster, Miss B (Beryl) Normanby, Matron, Mr JG (Goldie, Butch) Brown, Senior Housemaster, Mr LR (Len) Castle, Junior Housemaster
Historical Photographs (Set 15)
From 1925 to 1934 the annual swimming sports were held at the Tepid Baths, and in 1935 the event was held at the Mount Eden Baths for the first time.
In a 33-line poem, Verse for a School Attaining its Silver Jubilee, AW Beasley wrote:
“…At first a shell of bricks and mortar – grim,
Set in a mass of rubble, grey and bare, …”
( The Albertian, 1946 p. 14.)
The names of the 1931 Earl Roberts Trophy winners.
This image was gifted by Brett Kingstone in July 2000. Brett’s father, Colin, is in the photograph.
This 1936 athletic sports programme was gifted by Jack Connell in July 1996. It is a commercially-produced 32-page booklet, inside the front cover are lists of previous cup winners, then a list of officials (reproduced here), followed by eight pages of 733 numbered competitors. The rest is taken up with 86 named events and spaces for writing in names and times or distances. Jack Connell has written his name and class, 3C, on the back page.
Historical Photographs (Set 16)
Pictured are the five surviving Hanson brothers; Andrew (1961-1964), Robert (1957-1962), David (1958-1963), Peter (1956-1960), Mark (1966-1971). The eldest brother, John (1954-1959), is deceased. The five brothers returned to School on 6 August 2010.
They were later to attend a Memorial Service for their mother, Betty, who was, for many years, a member of the Auckland Grammar Schools’ Board of Governors, the body responsible for the governance of this School.
The brothers are seldom together as Robert and Mark live and work in the UK. David is holding the Hanson Cup which was donated by the six brothers in 1971. It was given “For Endeavour and Progress”. It is awarded annually.
Algernon Thomas was, in what he called his “leisure hours”, the long-time Chairman of the Grammar Schools’ Board and he was the guiding hand in establishing this School, as well as AGS, AGGS, EGGS and TGS on their present sites. Apart from the five schools there were three boarding establishments and our farm.
At age 25 he arrived in New Zealand to be the inaugural Professor of Natural Science (Geology, Botany, Zoology) at Auckland. He was a Victorian polymath. In his first year here he also had to lecture in Mathematics. He did gratuitous work in mining and bacteriology as well as being a keen breeder of narcissi. He had a wide interest in music and graphic art and read great literature in several languages. He was a member of learned societies including being a driving force in the Auckland Institute and Museum and the Royal Society of New Zealand.
He was commissioned by the Government to write a scientific report on the Tarawera eruption of 1886 and led a group to persuade the Auckland City Council to set aside 3,500 acres of the Waitakere Ranges as a bush reserve, the genesis of the present regional park.
He was created a KCMG and invested just two weeks before his death in 1937.
The D block quad, early morning, 26 April 2011, showing the hall and what was for most of the School’s life, the science wing. This quad had a comprehensive makeover in 2004.
The old School House at 807 New North Road. It was built in 1844 as a gentleman’s residence. The first Headmaster, FW Gamble, persuaded the Grammar Schools’ Board to buy it from the Child Welfare Department (who had run it as home for destitute children and had built new accommodations elsewhere).
The House opened in 1927 with 22 boys. It grew, and remained on that six acre site until 1970, when the new House was built on a hockey field at School.
The old building was demolished and a fragment of open space remains as the Alice Wylie Reserve.
The first three years of Liddell Scholars returned to the school on 28 February 2011. From left to right: Katherine Reynolds (2008), David Eade (2010), Rachel Peeters (2009), Geoff Gunn (2009), Chris Liddell (1971-1975), Jonathan Wrigley (2008), Ella Davis (2010).
Chris Liddell was, at the time, CFO of General Motors. While he was back in New Zealand he announced an increase in the level of the Scholarships (there are two each year and for a period of three years).
Later in the day there was a gathering in the library of Chris’ school friends, the Scholars, and others to present Chris with the Albertian of the Year award.
Historical Photographs (Set 17)
The large varnished tables had yellow vinyl tops and were in later years used, in the mezzanine, as reading tables. Originally they were partitioned into four by low MDF walls and served as private study carrels.
During the reconstruction they were useful as work benches and for displaying plans. The other work being done is the removal of some lower exterior windows. May 2006.
A section of the north wall of the library cut out preparatory to extension. The Acrow props are holding up the roof. May 2006.
A digger demolishes a concrete wall at the eastern end of the library to incorporate a storeroom into the main body of the library. May 2006.
A general view of part of the work area. June 2006.
Cables for power, lights and computers being threaded through framing in the refurbishment of the library. The small room being divided off will be for textbook storage. The original green wall in the foyer has been battened so that a new wall can built over it. July 2006.
Historical Photographs (Set 18)
This curved motif is found under the archway on the walls of the portico to the main entrance. The raised circles is one of Cumming’s recurring themes. A more recent use of the curved design can be seen frosted onto the glass doors and partitions installed in the foyer.
Fasces of laurel leaves were carried before the Roman Emperor. This image of a laurel fasces is one of many in the fabric of the main building. The most prominent ones are those found under the front archway. The archway itself has a large swag of laurel leaves in front of it. Just outside the opposite doorway (to the quad) is another archway, also festooned with bound ovoid laurel leaves. Here the discrete fasces are truncated, without the basal flared cylinder.
The prominent decorative corbel with its rococo swirls, flowers and oak leaves and the central year of foundation oval connects the neoclassical oriel window with the archway laurel swag.
Historical Photographs (Set 19)
When the main building was renovated in the early 1990s, new vinyl floor-covering was laid in the foyer and surrounding areas. Just inside the front door was an inlaid emblem. In April 2008 the foyer was carpeted and a new, brass, emblem, flush with the carpet, was installed. This image shows both emblems.
This monocrome lion is found on the half-way shelters used by the First XI soccer team. It is essentially the same lion as the now hidden inlaid one in foyer, though the shading on the motto scroll is a little different.
This embroidered gold lion (or the blue colourway) is widely used. This example was used for a 1980s style rugby jersey which was presented to to a notional team selected as First XV Team of the 80s. The presentations were made at an Albertians Dinner on 30 July 2010.
As well as presentations to the players , boxed jerseys were also presented to the coachers. Pictured are Bruce Lovett, Alex Bing and Ness Toki.
This blue and silver lion is at the corners of a decorative tablecloth that is commonly used on a small table on the stage when certificates, medals or trophies are being presented. This lion, because it is bicolour. is more distinct than than the gold one.
This large lion was erected on the north-east pediment of the refurbished E Block on 16 June 2011. It went up in three pieces, each of which was threaded onto steel rods coming out of the wall. The position of the rods can be seen by the positions of the 10 buttons, three on each piece of the motto scroll and four on the shield.
Historical Photographs (Set 20)
During the cadet years, and especially during wartime, the members of staff were cadet officers. In 1941 a number of masters were on active service. Many of the senior boys in 1941 would have been in uniform the following year and, after basic training, shipped off to war.
The men in the photograph are:
Back Row: 2Lt. FE Coulthard, 2Lt. GL Weir, 2Lt. J Horrocks, Lt. HL Towers, Lt. NB Body, Lt. MJ O’Sullivan, Lt. JH Jenkin, 2Lt. CB Floyd, Lt. WE King.
Front Row: Lt JG Brown, Capt. WR Martin, Capt. HL Calder, Major CT Harris, Capt. JM Tait, Capt. R Willmott, Lt. WCJ Perry.
Absent: 2Lt. JJ Harvey.
The photograph is a gift from the estate of Nelson Body.
These two paragraphs about the Balopticon came from The Albertian editorial of 1935 entitled ‘The School and the Future’.
The second image is of a 1925 advertisement for a home Balopticon. The advertised one is an opaque projector of the epidiascope type. The type suggested in the editorial is of the through- the-lens magic-lantern type. (The manufacturers, Bausch and Lomb, still have their international headquarters in Rochester, NY. They now make contact lenses and other eye products.)
The dirigible that is 4A has already flown over the foothills of the J.F.P., the Junior Free Place. A Junior Free Place was awarded to any pupil who passed the Proficiency examination by a certain age. This examination was at the end of Standard 6. (Which became Form 2, which became Year 8.) Any child who did not get enough marks to enter a “secondary school”, either had to pay to go to a such a school, or try to get into a Technical School, or give up the idea of continuing with school.
This image is rephotographed from a copy of one that appeared in The Auckland Staron Monday 5 April 1937. It was a gift of Alan Thom, in July 1999, who is the brother of Norm Thom, the Senior Campion.
This plaque was erected by the then City of Mount Albert in a tiny fragment of the grounds of the old School House. An old House Boy of the period claimed that the oak he remembered was planted elsewhere in the grounds. (The only way to know for sure is for core samples from candidate trees to be examined by a dendrochronologist.)
Historical Photographs (Set 21)
The Hall was opened in 1926. In 1991 the then Mount Albert Grammar School Old Boys’ Association (MAGSOBA) dedicated the Hall to Frank William Gamble, the first Headmaster.
In its first year the First XV wore Oxford Blue Jerseys with a Cambridge Blue sash. The following year the team had all Cambridge Blue Jerseys.
The photograph was taken in the quadrangle which had rough gravel at the time.
Medallions in ‘gold’ and ‘silver’ (500mm diameter) with a raised image of the School on the obverse and the name in a roundel were ordered by the then Director of Services, Evan Gray. The ‘gold’ ones were given to boys – in the 1990s – who had won prizes or trophies. The ‘silver’ ones were given to International Students who graduated. The reverse had a small School Emblem at the top and, tied at the bottom was an incomplete circlet of laurel leaves. In the middle was space for an engraved name and the award. The image shows the obverse.
The Chemical Balance is in first class condition with all parts intact and in the original case.
The box of weights is complete and the original box is beautifully crafted.
Both balance and box were gifted on 17 October 2016 by Dr Simon Marshall (1973-1974) who is a physical chemist working in Perth W.A.
In 1924 the fledgling Old Boys Association produced a professional invitation to a picture evening at the Lyric Theatre.
The Old Boys of the Day would have been late teenagers, yet the committee had tickets printed and mailed out, got responses and likely made a block booking. It is known from correspondence that the evening was a success, sufficient funds were raised, caps were commissioned and the President (then called the Convenor), HW (Herb) Salmon came to the School and awarded the caps to the First XV. The ticket refers to Football Caps. ‘Football’ meant Rugby Union Football. The First XV had won the Championship in 1924. The first team to do so. This became a tradition, the giving of caps to members of 1A or Premier teams that win a Championship continue to this day.
The card mentioned that the programme began at 8 but the issue of The Auckland Star for that day, 19 September 1924 (Papers Past), stated that the event began at 7.45, some Old Boys may have been a bit late.
“Going to the pictures” was hugely popular, it was a relatively new-fangled entertainment as a mass medium. There were 17 ‘Picture Palaces’ advertising ‘Picture Shows’ on the same day, plus two theatres offering variety concerts.
Historical Photographs (Set 22)
This sterling silver Prefect’s Badge with the long pin in a sheath was awarded to R.J. Parry – his name is engraved on the back. Robert Jones-Parry was also the Fire-Director of the victorious Earl Roberts Trophy winners. It was presented by his daughter, Leslie Fallon on 28 January 2014.
This timepiece was produced by Eddie Wilson, who had retired as Deputy Headmaster and became the Bursar. Just as the French teacher had become an Economics teacher, so the Soccer buff had become a Rugby devotee, so much so that he organised several First XV trips to Alberta and British Columbia. The watch was a fundraiser. There were return visits from Earl Marriott Secondary School in Surrey, British Columbia. It was Eddie who organised the exchanges with Earl Marriott, known as ‘the Home of the Marriners’ because of its rugby team. The Marriners had a great time in Auckland thanks to Eddie’s detailed organisation.
This is the third pair of cufflinks produced by the School. These ones were produced by the Commerce Department in 2012 as part of the 90th Jubilee Celebrations. Other memorabilia included a pair of number-plate surrounds, MAGS4LIFE, and several beverage containers. The other cufflinks were produced for earlier events.
This image was taken by Nelson Body, who was both an Old Boy and returned as a teacher. Not only did he take photographs of School and School House life, he wrote details on the back, as this other image shows:
The photograph is from his estate and is a gift of his daughter, Mary Jones in April 2014
The Peer Educator programme was instituted by Science teacher Shirley Heslop in the early 1990s. Those who completed the training were issued with this badge and could be approached for a listening ear. Mrs Heslop had a strong belief that a child who is stressed cannot perform well in class. Such a boy – there are only boys – might confide in older, and hopefully, wiser, pupils rather than an adult.
Historical Photographs (Set 23)
While other items in this collection endure from year to year, this one, of course, no longer exists. It was the central item of the dinner on the night of 9 June 2012. The other images show the details of each layer, the emblem and the roses were edible.
These side-by-side images from the New Zealand Herald of 18 April 1956 –a Wednesday – are a gift of Alan Kinnear on 28 November 2015. E.E. Davidson winning the 100 yards and A. Aston and M. Macky, first and second in the 880 yards.
This poster was erected so that people driving out of the School would be able to see it. It does not have the year date, 2014.
A medal was awarded to each player in the Girls’ Futsal team. They won the New Zealand Championship in 2013.
Historical Photographs (Set 24)
Although this Shield for form competition began with the 1925 win by Latin 3B, it was actually presented by RD Brown in 1927.
3B won the Shield for the next two years. The form teachers of these boys were Mr WRH Martin 1925 and 1926 and Mr S Black in 1927. Both of these were inspirational motivators. The Competition for class points in the finish of the Steeplechase went beyond the life of this shield, but as the School grew in size it became impracticable to continue. The original Steeplechase began in Ireland as a horse race. The horse – and rider – would run from one town’s church steeple to another. It became an Olympic athletic sport, and is also run in such multi-sport events as the Commonwealth Games and the Asian Games. Our race is more correctly named a Cross-country, and it is so named.
The Lion is a biannual 64 page publication which was first produced in June 2014. It was originally edited by Communications Manager, Estelle Sarney.
This rosette is a gift from Max Weston (1947-1951) on 12 November 2015. It may have been made by his mother.
The Beswick Shield was resented by Mr RM Beswick in 1928. Mr Beswick was an instigator of Association Football in schools. The Shield was for the winner of the Auckland Secondary Schools Competition. Mount Albert Grammar were the first winners and have won it more times than any other school. The image showing Mr Beswick is from a team photograph of the Auckland Football Association’s Principal Secondary Schools Representatives, 1929. The photograph of the team was bought at auction. It is from the estate of Mr WRH Martin.
The second image is of Joseph Simpkin, Captain of the 2005 winning team with the Beswick Shield. The School paid to have the shield refurbished and for an especially designed wooden carry box.
The caption reads: ‘PRIME MINISTER AT MT ALBERT GRAMMAR SCHOOL: The Prime Minister, Mr Holland, addressing the large gathering in the assembly hall of the Mt Albert Grammar School before opening the war memorial pavilion yesterday. Rain prevented the entire ceremony from being held out of doors.” The windows are original, there is a large speaker which, in the photograph, is above the Prime Minister’s head. There is an Air Force Band, refreshments on a central table and almost all the ladies are wearing hats and boys and men have short-back-and-sides haircuts. Many of the adults would be relatives of the fallen. The photograph is from The New Zealand Herald, 26 April 1956, and is a gift of Alan Kinnear in November 2015.
Historical Photographs (Set 25)
The School House formal crockery was used on the Housemasters’ table and also used for visitors for morning or afternoon teas. As can be seen from the second image it is good quality English china. There were matching saucers and side plates. All these items are on display at the School House. These items were a gift of Ron Hemus in his later years. Ron was Senior Housemaster from 1957-1972, so he was there for the demolition of the Old House and the establishment of the new House. He was simultaneously Head of History and Social Studies.
All the copies of the 10 issues of the 1980s had the same cover design. The Headmaster,
GM (Maurice) Hall saw the lion as ‘striving for excellence, strength, endeavour, courage” and the motto as “effort, reward’. As to the lower symbol, Mr Hall pointed out that the outer elements represented the Māori Koru, an opening fern front; “life, growth, sharing, hope”.
The central part of the design is of Pasifika origin, which could represent several things; a throne, “dignity and value” or a man astride with arms aloft “confidence assurance, endeavour, support for those who need it, a sense of worship, striving”. Mr Hall added: “we progress to the 1980s acknowledging what are owed to all those who are now our school.”
This symmetrical, elegant design was used throughout the 1920s. The original would have a hand drawing using geometrical instruments, compass, divider set square, rule. The shading of the pillars would have been done by hand as would the intertwined letters, MAGS. The only elements not done by hand would have been the lettering, which would have been done by letterpress. Also the Lion would have a stock printers element.
The Auckland Grammar School Chronical for the Second Term 1921, pp8 and 9 had a lengthy piece about the laying of the foundation stone for this School. Most of it is not new, but the last paragraph, depicted above, is new.
The boys were at the Annual House picnic at Milford in early December 1936. The photograph is a gift of the estate of Mr NB Body, Old Boy and Housemaster and keen photographer. He has a sense of history and wrote information on the back of all his photographs. The boys were named as: Bull, McClure, Williams, Watkins, Jones, Wickham and Genge.
Historical Photographs (Set 26)
Ben Stallworthy (at right), President of the Albertians Association, presents the Old Boy of the Year Silver Tray to Dale Griffiths, a former President and Member of the Board of Trustees. Dale has been a tireless worker for the School. 29 October 2012.
This receipt for ten shillings, paid by H.W. (Herbert) Salmon (1922). It is signed by both HM (Hec) McNeil, Hon Secretary and VC (Vic) Butler, who was President of the Old Boys’ Association. This is a gift of Sue Gasquoine, who is Herb Salmon’s granddaughter. May 2015.
Professor Russell Stone and Hon. Dr Michael Bassett. Each is the author of a considerable number of books with historical themes. Both are members of the Hall of Distinction. They were here for the induction into the Hall of Distinction of John Stacpoole. October 2013.
This undated rare colour photograph of a function at the Old School House was a gift from Graham Kidd, May 2012. G.E. Kidd entered the School House in 1945.
The main rugby field was named the BG Williams Field in a ceremony on 20 May 2017.
As a part of the festivities there was the annual First XV match between the School and Auckland Grammar School.
Historical Photographs (Set 27)
This photograph of nine of the 10 boys in 6A [YRS13], 1937 was taken on the front steps. Their signatures, all legible, are on the back, as is that of their form teacher, Mr Caradus. J.L. Nicholls was absent.
Hemus and Shaw were prefects, Bearley, Jones, and Shaw were John Williamson Scholars. Shaw, third from left, standing, with prefects’ badge, was Dux. Did Nicholls take the photograph? Also on the back is a developers stamp. PRINT BY/ D.G. BIERG / 21 OCT 1937 / 14 FORT STREET / AUCKLAND NZ. The photograph is a gift of Ron Hemus, who is sitting, on the left.
In a ceremony in the Staff Room on 28 August 2015, Mr MD Dempster, 1990 was welcomed into the company of staff members who had 25 years service to the School.
At age 22 Fl/Sgt Toon was raised to Pilot Officer. The second image is a newspaper item reporting his promotion.
These were loan items from his family, so that they could be copied.
The photograph is unusual in that the metadata is not printed but is done by hand with white ink. This item is from the estate of Mr WRH Martin.
These House Old Boys at a get-together in 1935 were all in suits and some in raincoats. They are on the side veranda of the Old School House. This is a Nelson Body photograph and on the back is the date, August 1935. Four or five years later, many of them would be uniform, in ships and planes and on the ground fighting for King and Country.
Historical Photographs (Set 28)
This is the work of WA Cumming FNZIA, August 1921. He was the architect of the Auckland Grammar School Board. The second image is of an enlarged fragment.
The plan is framed, so both images were photographed through glass. The original laboratories were in the south wing.
Head Prefects Katie Budgen and Liam Ferguson lay the School Wreath at the Mount Albert War Memorial. The Community ANZAC Service is held each year. This one was 25 April 2014.
This was a multi-use card, for thanks, for congratulations, and for sympathy. It was replaced by a landscape card in full colour.
The Premier Netball team 2013 were Auckland and New Zealand Champions.
At the Senior Prize Giving, 5 November 2012, David Tuipulotu, won the Barbara Clapperton Library Cup, The Isaac Gray Cup for Service to the School and The Walker Cup for Spoken Chinese.
Historical Photographs (Set 29)
The 2010 SADD Group had the usual ‘crashed’ car with ‘injured’ people trapped inside, but they went further, they had fire fighters in full kit cutting the roof off the car to get at the ‘victims’ and NZ Police, with an incident car, ‘arresting’ the ‘drunken’ driver, handcuffing him and putting him in the back of the car. It was the most elaborate demonstration ever organized by a SADD committee, and a salutary lesson to the large audience.
An Appeal Office was set, several years beforehand, for the purpose of raising funds for the School’s contribution to the Aquatic Centre. A professional fundraiser, Gordon Travett, was appointed, assisted by Kathy Farrell. Kathy also worked for the Old Boys’ Association as an Events Manager. As well as this business card there was a letterhead and envelope, with the same logo and in the same colour.
In the Auckland Secondary Schools’ Mountain Bike Relay Championships held at Woodhill Forest on 4 September 2005 Adrieen Hooper and Katherine Reynolds, riding as MAGS Wheels, were placed first in the under 16 girls section.
The winter morning fog shows the first iteration of the E Block.
“1987 has seen the Board of Governors of the Mount Albert Grammar School for Boys established by Gazette Notice of the Ministry of Education. It was an historic occasion for the school when the first meeting of the new Board was held in the School Library on Tuesday 11 August this year, Dr Peter McGeorge was elected the first chairman….” said Maurice Hall, Headmaster. Mr WF Green BCom, ACA, ACIS was the Secretary to the Board. He had been secretary to the pre-existent Auckland Grammar School Board. Professor Duncan McLennon took over as Chairman in November 1987. The Board went out of existence with the introduction of Tomorrow’s Schools in July 1989.
Historical Photographs (Set 30)
The 2005 Sports Dinner was held in the hall and at each table there was gold-painted sports equipment. The dinner, and the sports equipment, was organised by Chris Metcalfe.
Leavers’ Jerseys were introduced in 2002 by Caleb Hamilton, Head Prefect. He had the first one designed and they were a hit and became an annual thing. There was a different design each year, while the 2005 edition was rather drab, the Lions of ’05 were not. ‘Goodie’ was Head Prefect, William Good, ‘Co-Caine’ was Caine Hazwood and ‘Drama Queen’ was Kayleigh Haworth.
The girls played in borrowed strip in this year. The following year they had Mount Albert Grammar School uniforms. (This mirrored the 1922 First XV). This game was played at Western Park on 12 May 2005. The team played Auckland Girls’ Grammar School 2 and won 14-1.
This image is of the crown of the two tall phoenix palms at the front of the School. There is a broadleaf epiphyte growing in it. The palms are Phoenix canariensis and are endemic to the Canary Islands. They are also known as the Canary Island date palm.
Junior rugby in the rain and mud of a lower field 2007, Mount Albert Grammar School plays King’s College.
Historical Photographs (Set 31)
At an Arts Alive Concert in the Auckland Grammar School Centennial Theatre, three Year 10 Theatresports players did a Pythonesque skit called To Love a Duck. Here Emily Ridgeway does an have-I-got-a-deal-for-you spiel informing the audience that they could get top price on their old yellow plastic duck as a full deposit on a sale price new one. In the other image Vincent Aballe and Byron Gibbons continue the sales pitch.
Members of Year 12 Biology study a line transect at Te Muri Beach – near Warkworth.
Oscar Hemingway performs one of his own songs at a concert in the Hall, June 2006.
The School has had a regular ANZAC Service every year since 1957. Two wreaths are laid, one by the School and one by the President of the Old Boys Association/Albertians Association.
In the 2007 ANZAC Service The Last Post and Reveille were played by Spencer McGarry.
Historical Photographs (Set 32)
The School’s only Aerobics athletes to perform at the top level. They are also the only girls in their sport to win Silver / Sport Lions, Jennifer Ayres (2004). Michelle Barnett (2005), Stephanie Sokolich (2007).
Orinico Fa’amausili-Banse-Prince’s first foray onto the world stage was in 2006 at the First Fina world Youth Championship in Rio de Janeiro in August 2006. In Year 13 he became our youngest Olympian being select for the New Zealand Swimming team for the Summer Olympic Games in Beijing in 2008. He returned to School with the same equable, sunny, good-mannered way in which he approaches all situations.
Carl Perry, fullback in the 2007 First XV scores in the corner. Carl went on to be Director of Rugby at MAGS in 2016 and 2017.
These are the medals of Major Newton Wickham CBE, loaned to us to be photographed. Major Wickham, universally known as Wicky was a noted Albertian and benefactor to the School, he set up two scholarships and gave cash grants for various projects that took his fancy. He was a dental officer during the Second World War and a periodontist for many years after. He was a member of the Mount Albert Grammar School Hall of Distinction. The medals are: The 1939-1945 Star, The Africa Star with 8th Army Clasp, The Italy Star, Defense Medal, War Medal with Oakleaf (mentioned in Dispatches), New Zealand War Service Medal. The second image (below) shows the late Dr Wickham speaking to the School on the occasion of his induction into the Hall of Distinction August 2009.
Head Girl, Mary-Grace Aballe pins the Head Prefect badge on William Good. Both Mary-Grace and Head Boy William went to Medical School and both graduated on the same day.
Historical Photographs (Set 33)
At the Auckland Athletic Association Annual Prizegiving on 15 May, 2005 in the Under 16 Girls’ division Te Rina Keenan and Andrea Koenen were Auckland regional joint champions and in the Under 13 Girls’ division, Rachel Peeters was the Auckland regional champion.
Miles Mason, Ivan Luketina Johnston and Jamie Lamb were lighting operators at the School’s fifth entry in the annual Stage Challenge (the New Zealand franchise of the Global Rock Challenge), at the Aotea Centre on 16 June 2005. It is rare for them not to be performing. Each was equally at home acting in a Shakespearian tragedy or a knock-about farce, and other art forms. Each went on to successful university careers.
The practice of giving out a sports caps to members of 1A or Premier champions began in 1924 when the fledgling Old Boys’ Association raised money to give caps to the members of the First XV Rugby boys, who won their first championship. Caps have been given out ever since. This one is for the successful Table Tennis team of 2006.
This ticket was for a different take on an oft-played tragedy though the lovers are still star-crossed-and more or less dead, as Tybalt and Mercutio. The Capulets and Montagues are cast as rival gangs, Paris sings snatches of I Love Paris, and there are other songs, too. There were dances, from the ethereal to the hard-out. There was original music composed by two boys, John Zheng and Jeronomo Pontifasio. Actors, dances, musicians, all exhibited a high-level skill.
David Griffin and Dale Griffiths, who was David’s predecessor as president of the Albertians Association. Both have also served as members of the Board of Trustees.
Historical Photographs (Set 34)
Junior Girls waiting to go on stage to perform, March 2007.
Art tickets for this event were named. The evening took the form of an auction of student’s work, carried out by a professional real estate auctioneer. The following year, 2014, there was the first Fine Art Show, with works of professional artists sold on commission. It was a more up-market affair and designed as a fundraiser. It was over three days and the ticket in this image is for the Friday night cocktail party.
There were joint winners of the first Dux Artium (Girls). They were the actress Samantha Lawson and the musician Zyia-Li Teh.
There were a number of events surrounding the 90th Jubilee. This ticket was for the Saturday luncheon which preceded a First XV game, which was followed by another ticketed event, an after-match afternoon tea.
Professor Russell Stone (1936-1940) has been a prolific chronicler of Auckland for many years. As for as this School is concerned, he is the author of Tradition and Change: Mount Albert Grammar School: The First Seventy-Five Years (the co-author, NAC McMillan was the compiler of the Almanac). The cover depicted here, As It Was: Growing Up in Grey Lynn and Ponsonby Between the Wars: is a memoir includes his time at this School. Dr Stone is a member of the Hall of Distinction.
Historical Photographs (Set 35)
Tino Ape, First XV 2006, receives a Sport / Silver Lion and Certificate from Associate Principal, Paul McKinley (1996-2017).
Alexi Petrie holds the Intermediate Cross-Country Cup, which was gifted by Mrs W Ward Baker in 1927. She was the wife of a member of the Auckland Grammar School Board. The Ward Bakers took a great interest in this new School and showed that in a practical way by their many benefactions. Alexi is also holding a certificate as a personal momento. Around his neck he is wearing the bronze medal of the Auckland Secondary Schools’ Triathlon, which was represented on the same day.
Matt Bertram managed to get into his office. He took it in good part. He left to take up a senior position at Scots College, Wellington.
On the front page of the Central Leader for Friday 21 May 1999 it was announced that the School would be open to girls. It was not until a letter from the Minister of Education on 29 July 1999 that the decision was formalised. The Hon. Dr Nick Smith wrote to the Chairman, Peter Thorp. Part of the letter reads: “Thank you for your application to change the status of Mount Albert Grammar School from a boy’s school to a co-education school.
“I am pleased to inform you that I have approved the application. On 1 January 2000 Mount Albert Grammar School will become a co-educational school and cease to be a single sex boys’ school.”
The letter was handed over on the front steps of the school.
This image of the cricket nets in an almost complete state was taken on a film camera in December 1999. Earlier cricket nets were next to the original swimming pool, the site of both (and the rifle range come to that) are now covered by the E Block.
Historical Photographs (Set 36)
Mr Vince McGlone, was a sailor who fought on HMS Achilles during the Battle of the River Plate, which was the first naval battle of the Second World War in December 1939. He is with Commander Frank Rands, RNZN. ANZAC Service, April 2011.
There is an inter-school team chess competition. This 2007 game was between the School and Auckland Grammar School played at School.
This dance group performed at a School concert in the Auckland Grammar School Centennial Theatre in 2007. The concert included Pasifika performances, as well as musical and dramatic items.
This badge was first awarded to captains of Premier or A1 competition, in 2007.
Masters and their wives at the Old Boys’ Ball at the Peter Pan Cabaret 1937. The masters are; EH (Ted) Boulton, JH (Jack) Jenkin, WRH (Bill) Martin, MD (Murray) Nairn, JG (Goldie) Brown.
Historical Photographs (Set 37)
A Mufti Day to raise funds for charity. The word mufti refers to an Islamic Scholar. It was adopted by the British Army in the 19th Century for colourful dressing gowns and tasseled caps worn by off-duty officers. They called it “Mufti Dress”, meaning “out of uniform”. That meaning has been used ever since.
As the sign shows, the School House was, for a time, renamed Towers Hall, in honour of the first (1927) Housemaster, HL (Herb) Towers, who was also an original Housemaster in 1922 and remained here for 57 years.
The name was bestowed at the beginning of 2001 and it reverted to School House at the beginning of 2009.
In 2012, the parents’ evening was on 9 February.
In the early days of the School the front door, opening on the portico and the other foyer door leading to the quadrangle, were both half French doors. They were replaced by doors in the Brutalist style, with large panes of wired glass. In the first decade of the new century they were replaced by doors that followed the earlier, more elegant style.
This film camera image of work on the tennis/netball sand–filled courts was taken in May 1999. This was the third location of tennis courts. The first court was on the platform where the library building now stands. The second iteration was six asphalt courts which were built for the visit of the Duke of Edinburgh, in 1956. Those courts are now covered by a car park and the aquatic centre. In 2020 a new Science Block opened on this site and tennis courts have been moved again to near the cricket nets.
Historical Photographs (Set 38)
The late Les Laurenson was a member of the 1947 First XV, which won the Auckland Championship.
Here, he examines the Jubilee Cup for games against Auckland Grammar School. In 1947 the team defeated Auckland Grammar School 20-0. In 2007 the competition winning team defeated Auckland Grammar School 21-13. The second image of the 1947 team has Les Laurenson fourth on the right in the front row. He came back to teach at the School.
The third image is of the 2007 game. A member of the team, Carl Perry, came back to teach at the School.
One of several big trees to be planted in large pits in the revamped E black quad.
This team played 22 games and won them all. They could have had a strong chance of winning the Rankin Cup, the premier New Zealand Secondary Schools hockey trophy. However, the tournament was cancelled because of a measles epidemic.
This was the inaugural year of Boys’ Lacrosse competition. The male form of the game is more robust than the female version, use the helmets. This game was against Michael Park School.
The late Dr Ted Bollard, Professor Russell Stone and Head Prefect Abby Manley at a quarterly luncheon for Senior Albertians at the Commerce Club, Remuera, April 2008
Historical Photographs (Set 39)
This group of 15 prefects to quote Gamble, “were within the military limits of age”. While Head Prefect, Dudley Rollinson was in uniform, though his poor eyesight meant he had limited duties. Those with more active roles were:
Second Lieutenant L.I.D. Collard
Second Lieutenant K.L. Shaw
Flight Lieutenant A.F. Tucker
Lance Corporal H.J.H. Irving
Ordinary Seaman D.A. Anderson
Gunner K.L. Pulman
Leading Aircraftman C.L. Cleal
Flying Officer K.H. Hemus
Flying Officer W.H. Hickson was taken prisoner.
Private Ray Amore, aged 21, was killed on 26 March 1943.
Second Lieutenant Owen Gordon McGregor, aged 22, was killed on 19 December 1943
The Bell is taken down, in April 2009. This was the first time it had been removed since it was first erected in 1927, it was cleaned and restored in July 2009.
A robotics competition in the Hall, 2009.
The programme cover of the Assembly to award Arts Lions. The Sport Lion was reintroduced in 2002, the Scholar Lion in June 2007 and the Arts Lion in November 2007.
The Big Sing is an annual school choir competition in the Auckland Town Hall. In 2008 there were 63 schools competing. Our choir, Harmonize was conducted by Miss Bridgette Carmody and accompanied by the late Peter Su’a. The choir sang Ava Maria (Schubert), When You Believe (Schwartz) and the Peter Su’a arrangement of E Hine E.
Historical Photographs (Set 40)
In 2005 Macbeth was staged, and, as with many other shows, actors were made up. Here Prolene Maharaj works on Danver Braganza, who played the Sergeant in Duncan’s Army.
Our 2008 entry to the Stage Challenge was called The Art of Sport celebrating the fact many sporty boys and girls are also performers. These two clowns proved to be very athletic.
It has become a ritual to have white shirts and blouses signed by leaving Lions on their last day at School.
During the seismic upgrade of the early 1990s, classrooms along the front corridor, A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 were turned into offices. Large apertures were cut through the masonry and hidden lintels put in. In the first decade of the new century these offices were gutted, waiting rooms were curtailed and a number of news offices were shoehorned into the old classroom spaces. The second image shows the early stages of converting A3 to offices.
Historical Photographs (Set 41)
Greg Taylor 1988-2006, Dale Burden 2006-2015, Maurice Hall 1970-1988
A Junior Netball game played in the early morning in June 2010 on a remote court at the Auckland Netball Centre, Allison Ferguson Drive, Mt Wellington.
Pilot Officer Kenneth Fredrick Morgan
Killed 5 August 1944. Aged 21
At the School 1936-1937
Girls making finger food for an occasion 2008.
A section of the 2007 orchestra.
Historical Photographs (Set 42)
This crew won the Second Four race in the 1941 regatta. They are: Back Row: JF Carter (3), Mr JH Jenkin, FW Aiken (Bow). Front Row: DA Allely (Stroke), AC Mitchell (Cox), PN Farley (2). The image is a gift of Al Mitchell (1941-1945) in May 2009.
This image is in preparation for a son et lumière. The second image shows performers bathed in red light.
The light might have been yellow lime green, grey, sepia or combined colours.
Prefects slept out in cardboard boxes and under tarpaulins for the night of 19-20 May 2008, to raise funds for a charity.
A part of the first page of Lindsay Nash’s 4A Second Term Algebra Examination script, in which he did quite well.
Professor Norman Wong presents a University of Auckland Scholarship to Emily Du.
Historical Photographs (Set 43)
The 2011 Arts Dinner was held at Sorrento in the Park, Cornwall Park. The image shows the Boys’
Dux Artium, Adam Naughton and the Girls’ Dux Artium, Courtney MacKinnon. Adam also won the Best Male Actor Cup and the JCNB Clark Cup for Excellence in Dramatic Work. Courtney also won the Distinguished Service Award: Photography, Leadership in Painting and the Senior Art Cup. She also made the clothes she is wearing
The original Steeplechase was mostly a road race but the modern Cross Country has incorporated the Farm to the extent that much of the race is on farm land.
Senior Albertians at their April 2011 quarterly luncheon.
A reflection of School in the rear window of a hatchback.
The first image is of a card and the second image is of a group of invitees. As can be seen the 2009 lunch was held on Daffodil Day, 29 August 2009.
Historical Photographs (Set 44)
The sign was on two posts and was just inside the front gate of 807 New North Road, on the right, in front of a large totara. It was ‘liberated’ by Houseboys and suffered some damage. It was returned through John Sumner (who was not a Houseboy). It has been framed to protect it from further damage and is now on a wall at the new School House. Had the boys not taken it in the first place it may have ended up in a skip.
Market days and barbecues and the like are used as fundraisers for sports team or some other purpose.
Printing of the 2008 The Albertian at Keyprint Printing Ltd, Eden Terrace.
The boys of School House did an end of year haka as the seniors left on study leave, 8 November 2011.
Historical Photographs (Set 45)
This field dental chair from the Second World War was used by Major NE Wickham of The Royal New Zealand Dental Corps. Dr Wickham graduated from the University of Otago and completed a post-war Doctor of Dental Surgery at the University of Toronto. He returned to New Zealand at set up practice as a periodontist. This is a most generous gift, as such chairs are rare and sought after.
An association football match between Old Boys and the School included two staff members in the Old Boys team. In front is James Bellingham, behind him is Reuben Ploeg, and behind him is Joshua Smith (the red-headed boy) who is a member of the First XI.
The late Len Castle, CBE, CNZM, BSc, with his Hall of Distinction Charter. He was inducted into the Hall in 2005. He was here as a boy (1938-1942) and as a teacher (1948-1958). He left teaching and became a fulltime potter and one of the foremost New Zealand potters.
This event was staged by the Lions of ’09.
John Pipe plays Richard John Seddon. The second image shows ladies of the period (more or less).
Historical Photographs (Set 46)
Junior 3A included boys who had skipped a class during their primary career and arrived here younger than their peers, although there are some taller, older-looking boys in the front row. Their Form Master is Robert Willmott MA, father of Albertians John and David. The second image is the class list.
The half back is Scott Patterson
President of the Albertians Association, Dr Maelen Tagelagi, presents an engraved plaque to Prefect Orinoco Fa’amausili-Banse-Prince, who had been selected for the Beijing Summer Olympic Games. He swam the fourth leg of the 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay.
This item was performed at the Hit the Ground Running Dance Concert at TAPAC, Western Springs, at the end of Term One.
The 1937 First XI won the Senior Championship and the Knock-out Trophy (The Beswick Shield and the AFA Award). They were: Standing: CM Bishoprick, M Manson, WB Adair, Mr WRH Martin, HJH Irving, OJ Housby, KL Piper. Seated: TN Arnold, W Macfarlane, JC Mansfield (Captain), HD Huchinson, DD Taylor. Absent: LR Oswald. They were undefeated with 42 goals for and 4 against.
Historical Photographs (Set 47)
Before the building of the new addition to what was the D Block and yet another revamp of the 1970 original building, the first thing a visitor to the School would see would be this end-of-D-Block emblem and name. It has been replaced by a cement emblem and motto scroll, such as was first used on the E Block.
This event was part of the promotion of the School Cookbook, MAGS Flavours. Albertian Michael Meredith was one of the judges.
Junior Cross-country Champions Jochim Nobel and Rachel Head with their trophies and certificates.
These branches, with epiphytes, hang over the pedestrian path leading to the lower gate.
This extensive menu is undated.
Historical Photographs (Set 48)
This photograph includes several men who were on the original staff, as well as more who came in the 1920s. There are more who were rising stars and who were destined to remain at the School until retirement. They played a pivotal role in the history of the School. They were: Back Row: GW Heron, LR Castle, NAC McMillan, CR Hemus, J Horrocks, TJ Foran, WH Wendelin, RP Kelly, GG Harvey, CT Hopkins, RG Smyth, DE Davies, RB Martyn. Middle Row: WF Boaden, VB Herbert, B McLeod, TG Moorcraft, WS Mitchell, FE Coulthard, LH Yorke, RN Patterson, AG Blamires, AF McSkimming, PA Jones, DA Anderson. Front Row: WE King, NB Body, EH Boulton, JG Brown, HL Towers, CP Worley, W Caradus (Headmaster), RB Hardy, HL Calder, JH Jenkin, R Willmott, JLD Woolloxall, GL Weir.
The first image is of a sign showing them where to go.
The girl in the red top is Rachel Peeters. Five years later she was Head Prefect.
This programme cover for the 2008 Arts’ Assembly was the second annual awarding of Arts Lions, which were introduced by Headmaster Dale Burden on 2 November 2007.
The front and north side of the main building were dug up to lay new drains to prevent rising damp and periodical flooding.
There was a staff barbecue on the School Farm to farewell the Farm Manager, Malcolm Roundtree, after five years of service. The first image is of staff at the barbecue and the second image is of Headmaster Greg Taylor, presenting a gift to Malcolm while HOD Agriculture, Michelle Farmer looks on with her gift ready.
Historical Photographs (Set 49)
The Auckland Rugby First XV Championship Final was played at Eden Park and the school defeated King’s College 40-10 and went on to win the New Zealand Championship and the Moascar Cup.
The first image is of preparation for a lock. The second image shows the doors to the quad being painted. They are white on the outside and polyurethaned on the inside.
The Distinguished Service Order is a high honour for bravery. It is for line officers only.
We have four Albertians who have received it. They are Major GS Carter DSO, Wing-Commander SD Watts DSO, DFC, Major GB Nelson DSO and Group Captain CWK Nicholas, DSO, OBE.
The Library was packed up and put into storage so that there could be extensive renovation and extensions to the Library.
Historical Photographs (Set 50)
The staff member is JLD (Laurie) Woolloxall, an Albertian, who came back to teach hereSix along from him, in the same row is a boy with glasses. He is KH (Kel) White. He, also, returned to teach here. Laurie Woolloxall was Head of Science, Kel became Head of Languages.
Kevin Fallon, Coach, with members of the 2003 Association Football First XI team at an after-match function in the staffroom.
Outgoing President of the Albertian Association, Maelen Tagelagi, hands over the Chain of Office to Ben Stallworthy, the incoming President.
From the photograph it can be seen that the conditions were dreadful. This was the 1946 final.
Someone has written the date 21.8.46.
Historical Photographs (Set 51)
The six men on the front steps were: “Dave Sumner, H.G. Vivian, Mr Gamble, Merv Wallace, G.L. Weir and G.T. McNiel, after presentation to Vivian, Weir and Wallace, members of the New Zealand Cricket team travelling [to] England. Sumner and McNiel, President and Secy. Of Old Boys’ Association”. The text on the back and the photograph are the work of Nelson Body who had the presence of mind to write on the back of all his photographs. This, and others, are a gift of his estate.
Warwick Elley of Education and John (Jack) Sinclair of Physiology.
Piles of magazines ready to be distributed in early December 2004. They are in A5, a room that has now been divided and is part of the International Office. It was, for generations, the abode of JG (Butch) Brown.
The men in the background are Allan Sangster (obscured) and Paul Ferner, Head of Guidance. Allan, an Albertian, is Head of Mathematics. Allan and his wife have a large bach which they allow to be used to accommodate the prefects. The camp is in early February.
This informal orchestra group was photographed for promotional purposes.
Historical Photographs (Set 52)
The team played 10 games, won 9 and lost 1 and scored 212 points and had 32 points against them. The team was: Back Row: REW Elliot, RH Brown, LR Beck, DL Harry, JB Patterson. Middle Row: NE Lawrence, JG Digby, BF Hibbard, PRL Davison, JH Sinclair, GC Cummins. Front Row: Mr JLD Woolloxall, RV Walker, JG Williams (Vice Captain), PB Johnston (Captain), RY Collins, OH Costley, Mr HL Calder. In Front: WA Massey, GG Massey, JD Watkinson.
Girls from the top Year 9 class discover coloured precipitates.
There are two documents here, the Golden Jubilee Trust brochure and a pledge card.
The assets of the Golden Jubilee Trust and of several other Trusts were amalgamated and incorporated into the Mount Albert Grammar School Foundation, which is the School’s single, more fit-for-purpose fundraising entity.
Delivered sand is being loaded onto a sand spreader. It was done in March 2010 at a time when the fields were hard and dry.
Historical Photographs (Set 53)
This is an informal group. There are 23 of the 26 boys. The Senior Housemaster Mr HL Towers and the Matron Mrs M Walker are present. Mrs Walker was chosen from a large group of applicants. She was there for just the inaugural year. The Headmaster said of her in his annual report: “The resignation of the Matron, Mrs Walker, will be a severe loss to the House, but the sure foundation she has laid this year will remain always as a reminder of her skilful and wise management.”
Warwick Gibbs, long-time language teacher has been involved with cricket for many years and can be seen here changing the scoreboard
Ivan Luketina-Johnston receives the Boys Dux Artium award from Headmaster Dale Burden.
Headmaster Gamble shakes the hand of David Solomon, who, with a leather suitcase, is about to depart to Great Britain as a member of the All Blacks.
This high-energy group was created and coached by the late Peter Su’a.
Historical Photographs (Set 54)
The late Arnold Wilson addressed the School in 2007. Arnold was Head of Art here. When the then Old Boys’ Association gifted the large Honours Board on the South Wall of the Hall at the time of the Golden Jubilee, the large carving in the middle was Arnold’s work. In the second image, Arnold is joined by two Albertian painters, the late Sir Peter Siddell and Ian Kingstone.
The guest speaker at the annual Leavers’ Dinner in 2005 was Albertian Simon Mercep, broadcaster and journalist. The inaugural Leavers’ Dinner was in the Golden Jubilee year, 1982
It was held in the Auckland Polish Association’s Hall in Morningside. It was inaugurated by Evan Gray who ran it for many years. (Simon Mercep’s mother was Polish).
Within 14 years there were 25 Assistant Masters up from 11 in 1922. The Masters were:
Back Row: JW Bailey, WE King, JG Brown, JM Tait, R Willmott, WRH Martin, T Scott, EH Boulton. Middle Row: WCJ Perry, CT Harris, JH Jenkin, JB Body, HL Calder, MD Nairn, MJ O’Sullivan, JLD Wooloxall. Front Row: AD Trendall, RB Hardy, GS Coldham, W Caradus, FW Gamble (Headmaster), JH Harvey, HF Brook, CP Worley, HL Towers. Inset: WS Fleming
This has been done every year in recent times in order to raise funds for cancer research.
Getting trophies engraved, after deciding who the winners are, and then having them cleaned and ordered on the table is a series of skilled operations. The Director of Sport is responsible for Sports Trophies. For many years Greg Cave has been responsible for the many subject and general academic awards.
Historical Photographs (Set 55)
Three sleeping piglets on the School Farm. The second image is of cartoon little pigs for a production staged in 2006.
This Intermediate A team won the Championship and the Knockout Cup. They were: Standing: Mr JG Brown, HJH Irvine, LR Oswald, HD Hutchinson, RK Dell, K Manson. Seated: JT Wallace, TD McMurchy, JG Boddy, A Stuart (Captain), TR Shaw, WN Pearman, CM Bishoprick.
Albertian Servicemen saluting the playing of the Last Post at the School’s ANZAC Service.
The School’s first foray into Secondary Schools Equestrian Competition. We had our own horse blanket.
Historical Photographs (Set 56)
The team won all of its 10 games. It scored 68 goals and had 7 goals scored against it. The team was: Back Row: JM Mannall, PC Sinclair, RMcL Burnett, AH Denz, BM Gibson, DN Armstrong. Front Row: EF Franklin, BR Healey, CS Bish (Vice Captain), WG Bailey (Captain), KB Spark, DL Andrew, Mr NB Body.
It may look as though two young people have very spikey hair. Each of them is standing in front of a potted plant.
This preliminary work led to the building being gutted and rebuilt inside. As it turned out, there was another complete rebuild when the other side of the building was constructed. The double building was now one new structure and was renamed for Maurice Hall, the fourth Headmaster and a fine mathematician.
Graham Burgess, John Goulding and Henry Palmer, have all been notable in Old Boys’ affairs and now all, sadly, deceased.
As an Intermediate TeRina Keenan threw 39.65m in the Discus. The Senior Champion in that year threw just 26.73m. TeRina won an Athletic Scholarship to the University of Hawaii.
Historical Photographs (Set 57)
Prime Minister Sidney Holland was here to open the War Memorial Pavilion (the ‘Grandstand’). He is accompanied by Selway Andrews, President of the Old Boys’ Association. There is a guard of honour of cadets with .303 rifles with fixed bayonets. Headmaster Murray Nairn is behind with his wife Nancy.
Albertian Prime Minister, Robert Muldoon, returned to the School to open the Library. He is accompanied by Headmaster Maurice Hall. The Prime Minister Also opened a Gymnasium in 1980.
Prime Minister Jenny Shipley was here to open the then Philips Aquatic Centre. She is accompanied by Headmaster Greg Taylor. Les Mills, Mayor of Auckland is obscured behind the Prime Minister. Paul Harrop, Chair of the Trust that legally owns the pool has his hand on the door handle.
Prime Minister Helen Clark presented a Girls’ Foundation Year Badge to Hayley Holm, the first girl to enrol. The ceremony was in the Headmaster’s office. The artwork behind is by Chris Roy, art teacher.
Prime Minister John Key was here to open a gymnasium. He is seen here with the plaque and is accompanied by Headmaster Dale Burden and Board Chairman Greg Moyle
Historical Photographs (Set 58)
This was a lunchtime picnic for International Students. It took place at the beginning of the year when the days were warm and dry.
The School was a competitor in the 2008 Stage Challenge at the Aotea Centre. Preparation was an all-day affair.
In the early evening pizzas were delivered. As they were on the front steps of the Aotea Centre, four guards were assigned.
Brothers David and John Willmott at an Albertians Lunch. They are the sons of Bob Willmott, a French and English teacher who was also the Choirmaster and in charge of Hockey and ran the bookroom in pre-free textbook days.
School Concerts began in 1926 and continued until 1967 when they were killed off by television. For most of the time they were held in the Town Hall. Items sung by this jumbo Choir were listed in the programme as ‘The School’. In the 1941 concert they presented four brackets. In all they sang: Caudeamus, The King is Still in London, The Army the Navy and the Air Force and then There’s a Boy Coming Home on Leave and The Woodpecker Song. The third bracket was Bridge Builders and the hymn O God our Help in Ages Past. The last numbers were Ferry-Boat Serenade and O Ain’t it Great to be in the Navy. I was war time and all these songs would have been well received
In the last concert in 1967 there was the likes of Ruby Tuesday, And I Love Her and finally there was The Carnival is Over.
Historical Photographs (Set 59)
Standing: J Stacpoole, LJH Wright, GS Finlayson, Rev JC Guiness, MV Hutchinson, T Smith, CR Ward. Seated: WM Lowrey, TV Fitzpatrick, HTJ McNeil, D Sumner (President), J Horrocks (Secretary), WM Tongue, NB Body.
For most of the School’s history there have been Form Notes as a regular feature of the annual magazine, The Albertian. They were written by a boy from each class, although they were in abeyance for the war years. For the most part the headings were commercially derived but now and then a hand-drawn one would appear, as in this one for Four Science. There was also one for Three A Science as the other image shows.
Both were drawn by JTM. The only boy with those initials was JT Martin of Lower Five Non-Latin; a class described by what it was not.
This paragraph is from the 1922-1946 Silver Jubilee Souvenir, page 72. The N.Z.E.F.I.P. was the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force in the Pacific. In 1976 the Gilbert Islands became Kiribati and the Ellice Island became Tuvalu, two independent members of the Commonwealth.
The New Zealand Cricket team line up at Lords. King George V shakes hands with GL Weir. HG Vivian is nearest the camera.
This was the first time that a Girls’ Lacrosse Team, from the School, competed in this Auckland-wide tournament at Parrs Park where there were a number of fields, so that several games could go on at the same time. The second image shows action against Avondale College.
Historical Photographs (Set 60)
The Cup commemorates an annus mirabilis in sport. Those in the photograph are: D Sumner, WH Tongue, Mr FW Gamble, Mr W Caradus, RC Aiken, NB Body, VC Butler.
In that year we won the Senior Championship in Cricket, Rugby, Association Football (both the Championship and the Knockout Cup), Hockey (all 22 games), the inter-secondary Schools Senior Athletics and the Rowing Head of the Harbour.
No other sports had the inter-school competitions then, but in swimming PS Hannon won the New Zealand 100yd Freestyle Championship. It was a clean-sweep year for the school.
This exact form continued until 1957, after which there was a larger format and some different presentations.
This informal photograph shows competitors being marshalled for a race and masters and boys who are spectators. It is at the Mount Eden ‘Baths’.
This is the famous winners of the Earl Roberts Shooting Shield. The first New Zealand team ever to do so. Those in the photograph are: Standing: Major CP Worledy, Sergeant R Jones-Parry (Fire Director), Captain E Boulton (Coach). Seated: Sergeant RF Wakefield, Corporal WH Jenkin, Corporal AM Jenkinson, Cadet CJ Robieson.
Everyone in this photograph is smiling. They were in a commanding lead against Auckland Grammar School and they went on to win the Championship. Those in the photograph are: Mr JH Harvey, RC Aickin, HG Vivian, D Hetherington, RW Browne, JN Fraser, D Webb, RG Bush, AM King, GL Weir (Captain), LE Vivian, MT Wilson, Mr W Caradus.
Historical Photographs (Set 61)
CR (Ron) Hemus and WS (Bill) Mitchell in their later years. Bill is seated and Ron is standing. They were at an Old Albertians lunch at the Commerce Club, Remuera.
Sonny-Bill Williams played Rugby League, Rugby Union and Boxed. He represented New Zealand in all three sports. He presented Black Caps to New Zealand representatives, including Ianeta Hutchinson, Water Polo, Assisting is Samantha Chapman.
The team played 11 and won 11. They scored 95 goals and had just 1 scored against them. They won the Championship and the Knockout Cup. The team was:
Standing: Mr JG Brown, WB Adair, OJ Houseby, JA Howie, TN Arnold, TR Shaw, FJ Lea. Seated: WH Edgar, CM Bishoprick, HD Hutchinson (Captain), HJH Irving, DD Taylor.
These girls are wearing dresses made from unusual materials under the guidance of Natalia Brodie, HOD Technology.
Larney Palmer, the Farm Manager organised a barbecue for neighbours whose houses back onto the Farm.
Historical Photographs (Set 62)
MAGS Flavours is a high-end cookbook in which every recipe was tested at the Auckland University of Technology Culinary Arts Kitchen and photographed by professional photographer Sean Shadbolt. It was a massive operation. The idea for the book came from Development Director Chris Long, who was the Production Leader. The second image shows the Production Team:
The Green Room was an original production that ran over three nights. It was staged at the Auckland Grammar School Centennial Theatre.
Albertian Ashley Lawrence BSc LRMS (1948-1952) receives the Tagore Gold Medal from the hands of Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. The medal, for Music, was gifted by the Bengali scholar, politician and philanthropist Sir Jatindamohan Tagore. He has other gold medals for Law and for Physical Science. Lawrence was an outstanding conductor of Ballet at the highest level.
Those in the photograph were:
Back Row: RM Pickering, JR Phillips, SB Stevens, LC Hunter, ID Parlane, DJ Watson.
Middle Row: AT Watherspoon, J Mowlem, GB Walford, SJG Davis, GG Crawshaw.
Front Row: JL Creswell, TRT Williams (Deputy), MD Nairn (Headmaster), RA Lamont (Head Prefect), JH Gaukrodger.
Mr WE King BSc was universally known to the boys as Weka King and to staff as Bill. He was one of two members of staff who always wore a bow tie, the other was JG Brown. Weka taught Junior Science. In his early days he worked for a stock and station firm in South Canterbury. He was a willing helper in rugby, cricket and athletics, as well as directing, at different times, the chess club, the astronomy club and inspecting home gardens for an annual award. Mr King was a benign gentleman, who in 1963 died in office, so he has a plaque in the Hall as the second image shows.