Mount Albert Grammar School Year 11 students have the opportunity to go on a four-day sailing trip in December aboard Steinlager 2, the yacht sailed around the world by Sir Peter Blake.
- The trip will provide students with an opportunity to bring to life values like leadership, teamwork, communication, determination, courage, and respect as each team member learns the various roles they need to perform in order to reach their destination.
- On a multi-day trip students will get first-hand experience of the different aspects of sailing. Each participant will be allocated a role: Helmsman, Meteorologist, Navigator, Communications Officer, Engineer, Safety Manager, Switch Board Operator, Sail trimmer, Tactician requiring the group to work and communicate together to sail the vessel.
- Depending on the weather, multiday trips can take the group to the outer islands of the Hauraki Gulf, Great Barrier Island, Poor Knights and up as far as the Bay of Islands. There may also be an opportunity to sail through the night with a watch system in place.
- The group will learn all about life on board a round the world yacht, cooking and eating in the same way as our famous New Zealand sailors. The crew will share stories and experiences from Sir Peter Blake and his teams and the history of the vessel they are sailing on.
- Trip dates are Monday 11 December to Friday 15 December 2017
- The cost, including food, is $540 per student.
- For the trip to proceed, there will need to be 24 students committed
- If interested, please download and complete the expression of interest form and pay $540 by 4pm on Friday 7 July to secure your place. Places will be filled on a first come first served basis. If you miss out on a place in the 24, you will be placed on a waiting list, which again will be first come first served.
- If you commit to the trip and are later unable to participate, you will be liable for any costs incurred by the school for the trip, unless a waitlist student agrees to participate.
Enquiries: Head of Outdoor Education, Mr Darren Whitehead: email@example.com