1st XV Rugby Head Coach
Mount Albert Grammar School (MAGS) has a long tradition of sporting excellence and the school is proud of its success at the highest level in all sports. Our 1st XV is a part of that success story – they play in the 1A competition (and have never been relegated) and currently there are 4 ex-MAGS students playing for the All Blacks and 1 for the Black Ferns. The 1st XV won the NZ secondary school championship in 2016 and represented NZ in the Sanix World 1st XV Tournament in Japan in 2017. We have 10 rugby teams and run a Rugby academy for selected students in Year 9 and Year 10. With the school celebrating its 100th year in 2021 and the Centenary in 2022 this makes for an exciting position in the next two years.
The successful applicant will be responsible for the coaching the 1st XV and for the direction of the assistant coaches, manager and assisting the Director of Rugby as required.
- An appropriate qualification in rugby coaching or experience in coaching at 1st XV level or higher level of competition.
- Experience in coaching rugby in New Zealand
- Verifiable people management skills.
- Verifiable ability to work effectively with young men.
- Active support for the school-wide sporting culture of fair play underpinned by The MAGS Way values.
Additional advantageous qualifications, abilities and skills
- Ability to form effective and positive relationships with 1st XV coaches in other schools and the greater Auckland rugby community.
- Ability to form effective and positive relationships with the MAGS community – students, staff, parents etc
- A reliable and effective working relationship with Auckland Rugby.
- A commitment to the College Sport regulations pertaining to rugby
This is a fixed term – part time position reviewed annually. A willingness to join the teaching staff of the school, could make this a full time position. Please state possible teaching subjects as a part of your application.
If you have questions about this role, please contact Allie Wright, Mount Albert Grammar School’s Director of Sport, for further details [email protected]
Please send your cover letter, CV and completed Mount Albert Grammar School Staff Application Form to Sarah Hayes; email address [email protected].
Applicants for this position should have NZ Residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Click here for the Mount Albert Grammar School staff application form.