Director of Boarding (Girls)
The Director of Boarding (Girls) is a key member of the senior staff and will lead the establishment and day to day operations of the first girl boarders at Mount Albert Grammar School. Whilst the school has a long tradition of boarding, with School House for boys boarding established in 1927, 2022 will see the introduction of a boarding facility for girls. The facility is within walking distance of the school and will see up to 30 places available for students.
This role will be varied, busy and challenging. It has both a strategic and operational focus and involves working over a number of areas of the school including the pastoral and academic needs of students, property, employment, and financial.
As Director of Boarding (Girls), you will be expected to maintain a safe and inclusive environment for all boarding students.
This position requires a person with
- Proven experience, for a number of years, in a similar role, either leading or being an assistant director of a school hostel
- A strong understanding of developing and implementing processes and procedures that ensure organisation compliance with legislative requirements
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- An empathy for teenagers
- A high level of professional integrity
- Strong organization, planning, management, reflection skills
- Substantial leadership experience with the ability to foster trust and build cohesive teams
- Strong problem-solving skills and sound judgement, applied with a proactive and solutions focused approach
This is a full-time position (which includes some weekend work), and the Director of Boarding (Girls) is required to live on-site. The salary package includes accommodation, electricity and water. The Director is expected to eat meals with the girls during term time.
Mount Albert Grammar School is a Decile 7, state co-educational secondary school in central Auckland. Now in its 100th year, the school has a current role of 3,150 students and a staff of 280. Established in 1922, Mount Albert Grammar School has a proud history of academic, sporting and cultural excellence and is one of the top academic schools in New Zealand. The school site and operations also includes boarding facilities for 100 boys and an 8.1 hectare operational farm. The school has strong links and connections within the local community, Auckland and New Zealand.
This is a senior role in the school that is supported by the Board of Trustees, Headmaster and Senior Leadership Team.
Start Date: During Term 3 2021 (or by negotiation)
Applicants for this position should have NZ Residency or a valid NZ work visa.
Any enquiries to Sarah Hayes (Deputy Principal) [email protected] or (09) 815 4038.
Please send your cover letter, completed Mount Albert Grammar School staff application form and CV to [email protected]
Click here for the Mount Albert Grammar School staff application form.