Boys - 1st XI - vs Bethlehem College, Tuesday 31 August 2010 at India Shield Tournament

The final round robin game in Pool A for the MAGS team was against Bethlehem College who were sitting on top of the points table after two games. The team started well after a slightly delayed start after the Bethlehem team had miss-read the start time of the game and arrived at the turf just minutes before the start of the game. The MAGS team started well and had a one-on-one opportunity in the goal circle just two minutes after the opening whistle, which was off target. It did not take Bethlehem long to settle into their rhythm and they pounced on a poor pass out of the defence and scored their first field goal after ten minutes. The two teams were evenly matched and neither could break through the strong defence to score any further goals in the first half.

Half time score 0-1 Bethlehem College

The second half started strongly for the MAGS team and they were awarded their first penalty corner of the match within 43 seconds. The direct shot on goal from Daniel Panchia was just right of the target. The Bethlehem team was making the most of their opportunities and scored their second field goal after seven minutes. However, the MAGS team were not beaten and made a big comeback with their first field goal coming from an excellent pass from Till Dorendorf, who was pushing up into the centre half position from his more defensive role, to Cameron Cranston who slotted the ball into the back of the net. A tense ten minutes followed where both teams tried to add to their score but shots on goals were closed down by good defensive play from both teams. In the 21st minute Cameron Anderson scored the MAGS team's second field goal to level the scores. This was a crushing blow for the Bethlehem team who had let a two goal lead slip away from them. The sky blue and gold team from Mt Albert fought tenaciously during the final nine minutes of the game, knowing a win would prevent a quarter final against close Auckland rivals Macleans College. A heart-stopping penalty corner was awarded to Bethlehem College in the 29th minute but they were unable to capitalize on the goal-scoring opportunity so the MAGS team welcomed the final whistle knowing the result was good enough to get them into the quarter finals as the second qualifier from Pool A, with Bethlehem College qualifying first in the Pool. This was a very pleasing result with the team unbeaten after three games. Sye Jones was awarded to player of the match for not only his hockey skills but his leadership, and passion shown both on and off the turf.

Full time score: 2-2 Draw
Goal scorers: Cameron Cranston and Cameron Anderson
Player of the Match: Sye Jones