These images are an eclectic collection of re-photographed old photographs, artifacts and documents from the earliest days of the School to modern digital photographs of construction and events. Some groups have images which are unrelated, other groups are more or less themed. Sometimes there are two images of the one thing, such as two sides of a document.
Albertians, or family members, have donated many of the objects and where this is known acknowledgements are made. Most items have explanatory text, those that don't are self-explanatory. There are 20 sets that make up this jubilee collection for 2012. Curated by Brian Murphy, archivist.
Cadet Officers 1941
During the cadet years, and especially during wartime, the members of staff were cadet officers. In 1941 a number of masters were on active service. Many of the senior boys in 1941 would have been in uniform the following year and, after basic training, shipped off to war.
The men in the photograph are:
Back Row: 2Lt. FE Coulthard, 2Lt. GL Weir, 2Lt. J Horrocks, Lt. HL Towers, Lt. NB Body, Lt. MJ O'Sullivan, Lt. JH Jenkin, 2Lt. CB Floyd, Lt. WE King.
Front Row: Lt JG Brown, Capt. WR Martin, Capt. HL Calder, Major CT Harris, Capt. JM Tait, Capt. R Willmott, Lt. WCJ Perry.
Absent: 2Lt. JJ Harvey.
The photograph is a gift from the estate of Nelson Body.
An Early Projector
This piece about a Balopticon was from the editorial of The Albertian 1935 p.6.
Pen and Ink Drawing by Newton Wickham, 4A, 1932
The dirigible that is 4A has already flown over the foothills of the J.F.P., the Junior Free Place. A Junior Free Place was awarded to any pupil who passed the Proficiency examination by a certain age. This examination was at the end of Standard 6. (Which became Form 2, which became Year 8.) Any child who did not get enough marks to enter a "secondary school", either had to pay to go to a such a school, or try to get into a Technical School, or give up the idea of continuing with school.
Athletics Champions 1937
This image is rephotographed from a copy of one that appeared in The Auckland Staron Monday 5 April 1937. It was a gift of Alan Thom, in July 1999, who is the brother of Norm Thom, the Senior Campion.
This plaque was erected by the then City of Mount Albert in a tiny fragment of the grounds of the old School House. An old House Boy of the period claimed that the oak he remembered was planted elsewhere in the grounds. (The only way to know for sure is for core samples from candidate trees to be examined by a dendrochronologist.)
Miss Jackson was there because she was related to Sarah Jackson, who was in charge of what became the School House when it belonged to the Child Welfare Department.
- Historic Photographs (Set 19)
- Historic Photographs (Set 18)
- Historic Photographs (Set 17)
- Historial Photographs (Set 16)
- Historic Photographs (Set 15)
- Historic Photographs (Set 14)
- Historic Photographs (Set 13)
- Historic Photographs (Set 12)
- Historic Photographs (Set 11)
- Historic Photographs (Set 10)
- Historic Photographs (Set 9)
- Historic Photographs (Set 8)
- Historic Photographs (Set 7)
- Historic Photographs (Set 6)
- Historic Photographs (Set 5)
- Historic Photographs (Set 4)
- Historic Photographs (Set 3)
- Historic Photographs (Set 2)
- Historic Photographs (Set 1)